Friday, November 17, 2006

I want to make every song feel different from every other song. Every song is different from every other song, so I believe this is an achievable goal.

Well okay: how can this be done? I simply don't have the raw creativity to produce a new, insightful musical interpretation from thin air every three minutes. What I need for now is a starting point. Recently I've been playing with two simple ideas that I think are a good start to finding the unique character of a song: both have to do with aligning your movement with the underlying rhythm (or groove) of the song.

The first idea: Use the "ple" of the tri-ple-step; this is (perhaps) swing music, the "ple" is not a square eighth note. Listen to what the musicians are doing with their "ples"-- in some song's they'll emphasize it; in some, they'll hang back; in some, they'll rush it; in some, they'll make it skip. My "ple" should do all these things and more; my "ple" should be able to go anywhere between the "tri" and the "step" that best matches or complements what I hear.

The second idea: Move the "1", meaning start your swingout on a beat other than the downbeat of the measure. Each beat of the swingout has a different feel: imagine doing an endless sequence of swingouts, it would feel in some way like you're riding the surface of a wave that repeats every eight beats. I imagine that the music has a surface too, and ideally the wave of the dance should follow or accentuate or complement the surface of the music. The idea here is that the dance might fit certain music better if you shift it to one side or the other by some amount (by shifting the "1" to a different beat).

Those are just ideas I've been playing with to try to get started. Currently I feel that my dancing is pretty monotonous or discordant ninety percent of the time: either I get stuck repeating things I've already done hundreds of times, or I make up some random sequences that have little relation to the things I should be connected with. My goal and desire is to get the feeling of uniqueness and musical harmony to be the norm. Each song has its own personality, its own character, its own loves and lives; and I don't want to be blind to that.

No comments: